Laboratory Animal Veterinarian, GSK, UK
Position title: Laboratory Animal Veterinarian
Company name: GSK
City: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
A unique Part time opportunity has become available for an experienced Laboratory vetinarian to contribute to the provision of veterinary clinical care for animals on GSK sites as part of a team of veterinary surgeons. You also act, or deputise, as Named Veterinary Surgeon under the Animals' (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 and contribute to the scientific and ethical review process. Provision of specialist veterinary scientific input to drug discovery and development studies will be a key component of the role, helping to refine animal models to meet the needs of GSK scientists in developing new medicines. You will also be expected to provide advice and training to scientists and animal unit staff.
Your accountabilities in this role:
• Provide veterinary clinical care to the GSK sites in the UK within a team of veterinary surgeons. There will be a primary site location. 24 hour veterinary cover has to be provided to all sites.
• Act as the Named Veterinary Surgeon under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 or deputise for that role.
• Co-ordinate animal health monitoring programs at the site.
• Advise on best practice to ensure optimal standards of animal health and welfare.
• Advise on the legal implications arising from animal housing, husbandry and use.
• Participate in the Ethical Review Process to meet Home Office requirements and ensure the use of animals in science is both ethical and responsible and incorporates the “3R’s”.
• Provide specialist veterinary scientific input to drug discovery and development studies eg on surgery, anaesthesia.
• Work with GSK scientists to understand study, programme and business needs. To make it a priority to develop an in depth understanding of the scientific background and rationale of programmes of work and the associated therapeutic areas.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require reasonable adjustment to the application/selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 08082344391. This will help us to understand any modifications we need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 18th October 2018
• Degree in Veterinary Medicine, eligible for membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
• Min. 2 years postgraduate veterinary practice experience
• Good communication, interpersonal skills & ability to positively influence people are essential to this role.
• As this position contains many legal and moral responsibilities external to GSK line management, the individual must act with personal integrity and within a matrix environment is required to balance the provision of high standards of animal welfare and ethics in a competitive and results driven environment.
• A post-graduate qualification or experience in a relevant scientific or veterinary clinical discipline.
• A post graduate qualification in Laboratory Animals Science.
• Experienced in the field of Laboratory Animal Science/Medicine.
• Experience in scientific research.
At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging - to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain and Belgium.
Company name: GSK
Name: Mary Ann Vasbinder
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org