Veterinary Surgeon, Envigo Netherlands
Position title: Veterinary Surgeon
Company name: Envigo
At Envigo, we are working together to build a healthier and safer world, we exist to help our customers secure the potential of their research and develop products that enhance and enrich life.
We are evolving to become an outstanding company that will challenge our competitors and be the best company to work with…and for.
We are currently able to offer an exciting opportunity to join our Veterinary Department at Envigo as a Veterinary Surgeon. Come and join us, we have an exciting future ahead!
To provide appropriate veterinary input to all relevant areas of the company’s work and to satisfy the requirements of relevant legislation in this respect. To ensure that high standards of animal health and welfare are maintained at all times.
This job contributes to organizational success by:
• To provide veterinary cover for the barriers at the breeding facility in Horst as a Designated Veterinarian as described in the Dutch legislation and EU Directive EU2010/63.
• To develop and maintain knowledge and expertise in laboratory animal science and other relevant specialist disciplines through unsupervised study, the reading of scientific publications and attendance at scientific meetings and courses.
• To attain 35 hours of appropriate CPD annually
• To provide advice to animal caretakers, managers and others, who deal directly or indirectly with animals within the Company on the implementation of the 3Rs
• To engender a “Culture of Care” within the Company and a professional image within the Department.
• To provide specialist clinical services required. This will in particular include surgery and anaesthesia.
• To provide input in regards to any questions from customers and other stakeholders in regards to the health and welfare of the animals.
• To provide advice and practical assistance with regards to monitoring animal health at our facilities.
• To work required hours, including commitment to on-call rota.
• To contribute as appropriate to the Education and Training programme implemented for animal care staff and any other in-house provision of CPD and training related to the position.
• To review and supervise the surgical facilities within the department.
• To actively support the surgical team in Horst in developing new surgical models and to advice the team on best practice in surgical procedures and anaesthesia.
• Together with the Animal Welfare Officer, be responsible for applying and maintaining the correct project licenses.
• To be a member of the Animal Welfare Body and take on related projects and tasks.
• To provide support to the teams at our facilities in EU and the UK when required.
• To fulfil any other duties within my competence and experience, that may be required by the company.
• To comply with the Company’s quality procedures.
• To comply with company and health and safety procedures
Education and Qualifications:
• Veterinary degree to allow professional registration
Work Experience and Knowledge:
• Sufficient time in general practice or laboratory animals to gain competency as veterinary clinician including surgery skills
• Experience of carrying out audits or inspections would be advantageous
• Fluent in Dutch and English, spoken and in writing
• Actively seeks opportunity to develop own skills and knowledge.
• Gives practical support and assistance to enable individuals to get the job done
• Discuss process improvement opportunities within own department and across other areas.
• Communication is clear and concise.
• Demonstrates effective use of time and resources.
• Routinely meets agreed deadlines.
• Build rapport to influence message, acceptance and understanding
• General laboratory animal or clinical veterinary experience, to include surgical skills and anaesthesia
• Interest/experience in animal ethics, welfare science, exotic animals, surgery, GMO Colony management, health programs, genetics or other related disciplines would be an advantage
• Legally allowed to perform laboratory animal experiments as per the WOD (´Wet op de Dierproeven´ - §3.9) is preferred
• Animal Breeding, surgery, anaesthesia or other related further experience or qualification in the veterinary field
• Previous teaching/tutoring experience
• Good computer skills and ability to learn use of specific data capture systems
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Further qualifications not essential, but desirable would be ECLAM diplomate or a Designated Veterinarian Felasa accredited course in Laboratory Animal Medicine
• Additional Languages: Italian, German or French would be an advantage
This role is being offered on a full time basis and may require some travel across Europe to support our other sites in Italy, France and Spain
Please contact Katy Luckett Talent Acquisition Partner EMEA for further details or to make an application please visit our website on https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ENVIGO&cws=56&rid=7786
Company name: Envigo